Emerson College is a centre for adult education and retreats. We are located with a beautiful Botanical Garden, an Apple orchard, a vegetable, flower and herb garden. Our kitchen is well known for it's creative and seasonal meals. Each day we prepare a vegetarian menu for lunch and supper with a vegan and gluten free option for 40 to 100 people.
We are currently seeking a cook and a kitchen assistant from February / March to October with the possibility to extend the contract
Kitchen Assistant (30 hours / week)
- Under the direction of our friendly 2 kitchen managers these may include:
- Preparation of a range of raw and cooked foods, including baking
- Using mechanical and manual food preparation and other kitchen tools and equipment
- Presentation and serving of food
- Washing up, recycling and kitchen cleaning
- Working to our health and safety and food hygiene standards
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
- Interest in cooking and food
- Basic understanding of food hygiene requirements (but full training available)
- Fit and healthy
- Minimum age is 18
- Interest to work in a multicultural environment where different types of operations are carried
We work in 2 shifts Monday to Sunday between 8am and 8pm. The schedule can be adjusted to your availability.
Training and support
You will be given induction training covering various aspects of the work and the organisation. Training will be given from our qualified and experienced staff to include food handling, knife handling, safe methods of working, cleaning and food storage.
Benefits of working at Emerson College
- You will be part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Learning and developing new skills from qualified, experienced staff
- Gain experience working in a professional kitchen environment
- Learning about cooking, baking and sustainably/responsibly sourced food
- Making new friends from all walks of life
Cook (12 - 30 hours / week)
The position is ideal for a freshly qualified cook or a kitchen assistant with some years of experience who wants to improve his or her professional skills and learn from our creative chefs.
You will be able to develop vegetarian meals and puddings with the support of our 2 friendly kitchen managers and gradually take on more responsibility. Each meal is freshly cooked with organic, fair trade and biodynamic ingredients. Our menus are inspired by British, Italian, Greek and Asian dishes. Many of our course and retreat participants come back year after year and say that our meals and our beautiful gardens are a highlight of their experience.
We are looking for somebody with good organizational skills, capacity to multitask, set priority and respond quickly to changes. If you are flexible and a team player with good relationship-building skills, you will enjoy becoming part our team.
We work in a morning and afternoon shift from Monday to Sunday. We are able to accommodate other commitments.
Are you interested?